Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Case of the Missing Card Reader

I feel like Nancy Drew.  Or maybe Trixie Belden.

The night before Easter, in a fit of organization, which trust me does not happen often, I found my card reader, took my memory card our of the card reader and put it in my camera.  I am notorious for leaving my camera at home or taking my camera and leaving the memory card in the card reader on my desk.  I wanted to be sure I was ready to go on Easter morning.

Easter morning came.  My kids got up and tore through their Easter baskets.  I took pictures.  Then we all got ready for church. 

I had a new dress to wear to church.  My sister saw it in a store, it didn't work for her, but she knew I would like it, so she bought it and mailed it to me.  I know, sweet, right?  I had tried the dress on a few times, but I guess I had never moved around in it very much.  When I got it on that morning and was rushing around trying to get everyone else ready, the front of the dress started to open up exposing a little a lot more of me than was appropriate for church. 

I spent the next ten minutes searching for safety pins.  Since moving at the end of February, I have not been able to easily lay my hands on anything I need.  I find things eventually, usually after I have given up and bought a new one of whatever it was I couldn't find.  So, I sort of knew I wasn't going to find safety pins in time to get to church on time.  I was about to give up.  I told my husband to go on without me because I was not going to go to church and flash the preacher.  Then I decided I could just grab a needle and some thread and tack the front of the dress together in the car on the way to church.

I got down my sewing box, rummaged through it looking for some thread that would work with the dress, threw the fabric scraps, etc. back in the box and rushed out the door.

We went to church, then spent most of the day at my in-laws.  When we got home, I wanted to upload my pictures, but I couldn't find my card reader anywhere.  I was exhausted, and I had a family to feed, so I didn't spend too much time looking for it.

The next day, I still couldn't find it.  I knew it was on my desk.  I knew someone had moved it.  I knew that someone was a three year old boy.  I knew he knew where it was, but didn't know what I meant when I said "card reader". 

I sort of haphazardly looked around for the thing.  I had each of the big girls take a turn cleaning up the room where I thought it must be in the hopes that they would find it.

I gave up.  I was ready to just go buy a new one, even though I hate buying things I already have somewhere.

Tuesday morning, I woke up at 4:30 a.m. when my husband was getting ready for work.  I realized I hadn't ironed a shirt for him, so I stumbled out of bed and got a shirt.  Just as I was finishing the ironing of said shirt, I realized that it was missing a button.  The part of me that wanted to climb back in bed thought maybe he wouldn't notice.  The part of me that wanted to have a happy husband decided to sew the button back on the shirt. 

I got out my sewing box and started rummaging through it to find the right thread.  I was pulling scraps of fabric, etc. from the box when something caught my eye. 

There was my card reader!

I stood there all by lonesome and said, "Really?" right out loud to myself. 

There is absolutely no way anyone else put the thing in that box.  There is positively no way that the three year old terror could have possibly reached it.

Case solved.

I don't remember Nancy or Trixie ever being the villains in their own mysteries!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Pajama Mama said...

Really? heehee

Angel said...

I always preferred Trixie Belden. Nancy was a little too perfect for me.